About the Certificate in Applied Positive Psychology
Applied Positive Psychology is a discipline that examines the intersections of body, brain, culture, and science to develop tools and practices that enhance human flourishing and well-being. In this 4-course, 4 c.u.* course of study, you will be introduced to the field of positive psychology and will learn tools and practice strategies that support personal, organizational, and community well-being. The courses teach you the theoretical and empirical foundations of human flourishing, how well-being is measured, and what activities increase human flourishing in various contexts and settings.
Penn LPS Online courses in the Certificate in Applied Positive Psychology are offered on an accelerated (8-week) schedule. Courses in the certificate program are largely asynchronous with some synchronous sessions to be scheduled by the instructors.
You have the option to enroll in individual courses without committing to the entire certificate, enjoying the flexibility and expertise offered by Penn LPS Online to suit your schedule and interests. Visit the Cost of Attendance page for course tuition and fee rates. Courses within the Certificate in Applied Positive Psychology may be applied to our Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences degree, but do not count toward Penn's Master of Applied Positive Psychology degree.
*Academic credit is defined by the University of Pennsylvania as a course unit (c.u.). A course unit (c.u.) is a general measure of academic work over a period of time, typically a term (semester or summer). A c.u. (or a fraction of a c.u.) represents different types of academic work across different types of academic programs and is the basic unit of progress toward a degree. One c.u. is usually converted to a four-semester-hour course.
The Certificate in Applied Positive Psychology prepares you to:
- Learn the historical and empirical foundations of positive psychology and the science of well-being
- Explore key research themes (e.g., positive emotions, strengths, engagement, relationships, meaning, and accomplishment) and their relevance in personal and organizational settings
- Apply research in positive psychology by practicing strategies that influence well-being
- Investigate applications of positive psychology in different professional settings, including business, education, healthcare, and the nonprofit sector
- Learn the basics of research, measurement, and evaluation in positive psychology
It is strongly recommended that students earning the Certificate in Applied Positive Psychology first complete Introduction to Positive Psychology.
- APOP 100: Introduction to Positive Psychology
- APOP 120: Human Flourishing: Strengths and Resilience
- APOP 200: Positive Psychology at Work
- APOP 300: The Scientific Method in Positive Psychology
Courses are subject to change.
Meet the Faculty
- Faculty Director, Penn LPS Online Certificate in Applied Positive Psychology
- Director of Education and Senior Scholar, Positive Psychology Center
- Director, Penn LPS Online Certificate in Applied Positive Psychology
- Associate Director, Master of Applied Positive Psychology program
- Senior Fellow, Wharton School's McNulty Leadership Program
Professional outcomes related to Applied Positive Psychology
The Certificate in Applied Positive Psychology is designed to help you become more effective as an individual, employee, and leader in your workplace and community. In addition to strategies for enhancing personal well-being, the certificate has broad professional applications in a range of fields.
- Partner with others to build employee engagement
- Increase your effectiveness and resilience as a leader
- Take a strengths-based approach to your professional development
- Understand how to measure changes in individual and organizational well-being